Alabama just missed the dubious distinction of being among the five most dangerous states in the nation in which to live.
WalletHub reports a recent study to determine the safest and least-safe states ranked Alabama 44th-safest. We ranked 30th in personal and property safety, 46th in financial safety, and 32nd in both road safety and workplace safety.
Alabama crash statistics
When it comes to road safety, speeding, distracted driving, and drunk driving are often contributing factors in some of the most devastating crashes. Drive Safe Alabama reports staggering statistics on traffic accidents. These include:
- A traffic accident was reported every 202 seconds in 2016.
- In nearly 60 percent of traffic fatalities, drivers and passengers did not fasten their seat belts.
- Half of all fatal accidents occurred at night, including dusk and dawn.
- On average, a person sustained an injury from a crash every 11 minutes and 2 seconds.
- Alabama drivers have a 1 in 3 chance of being involved in a fatal accident within their lifetime.
- While most accidents happen in urban areas, most fatalities happen on rural roads.
- The state's fatal crash rate in 2016 was higher than the national average.
Real accidents on Mobile roadways
The statistics don't lie. This year alone has already seen numerous fatalities on Mobile roadways. Just recently, a teenage driver was killed in a crash on Interstate 10 after veering off the road and colliding with a telephone pole. A motorcyclist also suffered fatal injuries after striking the side of a passenger vehicle that was backing out a driveway. Earlier this year, two motorists were killed in a head-on collision on North University Boulevard.
Far too often, we continue to hear about fatal accidents on Mobile roadways. At Dean Waite & Associates, LLC, we have seen the devastation that negligence causes to accident victims and their families.
No matter how responsibly you may drive, there is no guarantee that others will do the same. If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else's negligence, you should seek the legal advocacy of an experienced Mobile auto accident attorney.