Our Law Firm Advocates For Motorcycle Safety
Advice you can trust from an experienced Mobile attorney
Thanks to our warm weather year-round, motorcyclists take to the roads in Mobile and throughout Alabama every day. At Dean Waite & Associates, LLC, we know that most motorcyclists are safe and responsible riders. That's because we've represented many bikers who were injured due to the negligence of others.
Motorcyclists are some of the most vulnerable people on the road because they have much less protection than people in enclosed vehicles. Here are a few steps you can take to stay safe on the road and avoid motorcycle accidents:
- Wear protective gear - This includes helmets, gloves, eye and ear protection and reinforced clothing. Leather or denim will help to protect against road rash if you are thrown from your bike in a wreck.
- Maintain your bike - Losing control of your bike while on the road is a recipe for disaster. Make sure your brakes, engine and all other components are in good working order before you get on the road.
- Stay out of blind spots - Most motorcycle wrecks happen because the driver of a car didn't seek the motorcyclist. Motorists do have a responsibility to check their blind spots, but many of them fail to do so.
- Be careful at intersections - Cars often fail to yield the right of way to oncoming motorcycles. Even if you have the right of way, be alert - and be prepared to stop to avoid a collision.
- Avoid doorings - Riding next to parked cars is very dangerous because a car door could open in your path at any time. Be sure to leave plenty of clearance.
- Stay sober and alert - Don't get on your bike when you are exhausted or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You'll have a more difficult time making safe decisions and riding defensively.
It's important to keep these safety tips in mind. Remember, though, that you can only control yourself and your bike, not other motorists on the road. If you have been injured in a motorcycle wreck due to someone else's negligence, we can help you recover. Contact our law firm today for a free consultation.