Ozempic and Wegovy Lawsuits
You may be eligible for financial compensation if you took these drugs
Ozempic and Wegovy are drugs manufactured by Novo Nordisk that are often prescribed for weight loss as part of a comprehensive weight management plan. But use of these drugs can be dangerous, and many people who take them experience serious gastrointestinal issues and other complications.
If you or a loved one has used Ozempic or Wegovy for weight loss and been diagnosed with a serious medical condition such as gastroparesis, gallbladder issues, pancreatitis, or other illness, you may be able to recover financial compensation for the damages you suffered.
Understanding the effects of Ozempic and Wegovy
Both Ozempic and Wegozy are a type of drug called semaglutide. While Ozempic is primarily used in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, both drugs have garnered attention for their potential to aid in weight loss. While they offer potential benefits, these medications come with potential risks and side effects.
Using Ozempic or Wegovy for weight loss has been associated with a range of harmful effects that can have serious implications for your health. These conditions include:
- Gastroparesis (stomach paralysis) and severe stomach issues: People with gastroparesis experience delayed stomach emptying and stomach paralysis, which can lead to nausea, vomiting, bloating, and nutritional deficiencies.
- Gallbladder issues: Some people taking these medications have reported gallbladder problems, including gallstones and inflammation.
- Pancreatitis: These drugs have been associated with an increased risk of pancreatitis, a serious inflammation of the pancreas that can lead to hospitalization.
- Acute kidney injury/failure: These medications have been linked to acute kidney injury and renal failure, requiring ongoing medical care.
- Liver failure: In this severe and often life-threatening condition, the liver, which filters toxins from the blood and produces important proteins, is unable to function properly.
- Thyroid cancer: Semaglutide has been linked to an increased risk of thyroid C-cell tumors.
- Eating disorders and severe malnutrition/muscle loss: The pursuit of weight loss through these medications can sometimes cause or exacerbate eating disorders, severe malnutrition, and muscle wasting.
- Suicidal behavior/thinking: Some people may experience suicidal behavior or thoughts while using these medications.
People who experience any of these conditions may need extensive medical treatment, and expenses can add up quickly. These can include expenses for blood tests, imaging studies, lab tests, additional medication, mental health treatment, and in some cases, surgery and hospitalization. Victims may also be unable to work and lose income, in addition to other costs.
Am I eligible for an Ozempic or Wegovy lawsuit?
If you were prescribed these drugs for weight loss, have been taking them for several months, and suffered from any of the complications listed above, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit. An experienced personal injury lawyer can meet with you to talk about your health issues, discuss your legal options, and answer any questions that you have.
How much compensation can I recover in a lawsuit?
The amount you can recover in a verdict or settlement depends on many different factors. These include the severity of your illness, the extent of your damages, and the strength of the evidence in your particular case. In general, you can seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Dean Waite & Associates, LLC is currently reviewing cases for people throughout Alabama who were prescribed Ozempic or Wegovy for weight loss and suffered serious health complications. We can talk to you about your experiences, review your medical records, and advise you of your rights.
Don’t delay – you only have a certain amount of time in which to file a lawsuit. Learn more about your legal options. Contact us to schedule a free and confidential consultation.